Thomas HARRIS 1
The Harris family (who changed their name to Smith in the 17th Century) were prominent landowners in Padbury until the late 18th Century. Thomas was the earliest known member of the family, and leased the manor of Padbury from All Soul's College Oxford in 1542, and was appointed their bailiff. His widow Joan and son Thomas (qv) continued the lease after his death in 1553.
Thomas married Joan. (Joan was buried on 7 Apr 1585 in St Mary the Virgin, Padbury, Buckinghamshire 2.)
1 Victorian History, 'Parishes : Padbury', A History of the County of Buckingham: Volume 4 (1927), pp. 209-215.
Church Register, Rev R Ussher (1927). Transcript of Padbury. Buckinghamshire Archaeological Society.