The family came from Picardy in France. Their name 'De Noeud' was anglicised over the next four generations to Denew via De Neu, although the change was phonetic rather than a translation - 'Noeud' means 'knot' in English.
Two brothers are known from the Register of the Walloon Church in the Crypt of Canterbury Cathedral - Philippe (qv) who emigrated to England around 1580 (eight years after the St Bartholomew's Day Massacre which triggered the Protestant dispersal), and Jean. It is not known if Jean emigrated, but his two sons, also named Jean and Philippe, married in Canterbury. Jean's sons were from Beaudricourt, a village 4km to the north-east of Brevillers, the home of their uncle Philippe de Noeud.
De Noeud married.