Nicholas AYLING 3
- Christened: 10 Dec 1593, All Hallows, Woolbeding, Sussex 2
- Marriage (1): Mary HEBB on 30 Jan 1615 in All Hallows, Woolbeding, Sussex 1
- Marriage (2): Elizabeth AYLING on 12 May 1646 in All Hallows, Woolbeding, Sussex 2
- Died: Of, Tote Hill, Stedham, Sussex 4
- Buried: 26 Aug 1670, St James, Stedham, Sussex 5
Nicholas was the eldest son, and is thought to have resided mainly at Hookland near Redford in the Parish of Woolbeding, although he was living at Tote Hill, one mile south of Hookland, when he wrote his will in 1665. It is likely that Nicholas was a yeoman farmer. He married Mary Hebb in 1615, and had six children, three boys and three girls. Three of them married into different branches of the Yalden family. Their eldest daughter Mary (qv) married William Yalden (qv), the ironmaster of Blackdown. Their eldest son Nicholas married Elizabeth Ayling in 1641 - their son Nicholas was also living in Tote Hill at the time of his death in 1694. Their next daughter Katherine married Rev Edmund Yalden, from the Petersfield branch of the Yalden family, who was the Rector of Compton in Surrey. Little is known about their next son Thomas, although he was appointed overseer for the execution of his father's will. Their two youngest children Joan and William were baptised the same day, so were presumably twins. Joan died in childhood; and William married Mary Yalden, from the Ropley branch of the Yalden family, and was residing at Redland - possibly Hookland - when he died in 1700, as were his wife Mary and son Nicholas who died a few years later.
Nicholas' wife Mary died in 1630, and Nicholas remarried in 1646 to Elizabeth Ayling, a widow, who outlived him.
Additional source: Visitation of Sussex 1662, Harl Soc Vol 89, 1937
Nicholas married Mary HEBB on 30 Jan 1615 in All Hallows, Woolbeding, Sussex.1 (Mary HEBB was buried on 28 May 1630 in All Hallows, Woolbeding, Sussex 2.)
Nicholas next married Elizabeth AYLING on 12 May 1646 in All Hallows, Woolbeding, Sussex.2 (Elizabeth AYLING was buried on 14 Jul 1674 in St James, Stedham, Sussex 6.)